Wednesday 29 August 2007

Hurting my dad

I sometimes say really cruel things to him, that he doesn't deserve. He told me today he felt upset by what I had said that saddened my heart.

I seem to be "processing" anger at the moment, i feel it coming up through my body from my stomach to my chest, it is like a ball in my chest at the moment. I was talking with someone about the times my dad let us down when he was drinking and about the decisions he made when we were growing up. I have forgiven him, but this anger still seeps out.

I don't want to harm my dad. I love him dearly and know that he has a lot of sadness and has had so many disappointments and heartaches and I know that he feels like a failure as a father. He admits to this type of thing when he drinks.

I need to learn to process this anger in a "safe" way. Any suggestions greatly received.

4 comments:

johno said...

Step 10, dig deep, get dirty on the floor if you have to to find the truth or ask to be shown it, pray for acceptance, pray for the defects to be removed. Pray for your Dad. Pray for patience tolerence, pity towards him, for he is a (sick)(imperfect) person like you and me.

Do this everyday until the resentment right sizes itself.

In the meantime help newcomers & Give time time.

If it comes back, repeat from Step 10.

If you cant, pray for the willingness to do all that.

If it comes back again, re[eat from Step10

Determined1 said...

I have got a backlog of step 10s to do tomorrow lunch..it always comes back to god dam step tens. I am ok once I get started with them..ta for the feedback. Good luck in your exam.....

johno said...

It all comes back to

Clean house, Trust God, Help others.

All three provide a balance, like the 3 legs on a stool.

An the 3 legacies, which AA hangs together on

Just doing one or two will provide short term, shallow relief from "the head" but long term, its just not good enough. For me.

I know when one of my legs are short... am abit off balance!

Step10's saved my life, thats why I love them so much. AND I had a few spiritual experiences, extraordinary! but true, during inventory... it an unblocker.

God wants ya resentment free now and everyday, why wait til...tomorrow lunchtime.

You may have destroyed a few innocent people before then!?

thanks for your exam wishes tho

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Restraint of tongue and pen